Africa is not just a mobile-first continent. It is mobile-only.
By the numbers in Shapshak's CNN article on Africa's mobile revolution:
- 80% of the world's mobile money transactions are happening in East Africa
- M-Pesa reportedly handles $20 million a day in transactions
- Mobile money is projected to become a $617 billion industry by 2016
- Africa has about 1 billion people and an estimated 700 million SIM cards
- In South Africa, Google says 25% of its searches during the week are via mobile, rising to 65% on the weekends